Sunday, March 04, 2007

Chinese New Year's Eve Dinner (17/2/07)

CNY is here again!! Mom ordered each of us siblings to prepare 2 dish, either to cook or tapau from outside. Well, I did duck and crab. Actually I I bought fresh duck and my do the cooking, coz I don't know how to cook the duck, KAMPUNG style! Only my mom knows how to cook it, so she kind enuff to let me off the hook, heheheh.
So in the end I cooked the CRAB! What's the recipe called? Well my sis Diana picked a recipe from a book and handed to me and say "nah, cook this". So I looked at the recipe, it's called, "Crab in salted egg yolk". It's a hawker style cooking! I really wonder if I can really cook this dish SUCCESSFULY? But I took up the challenge and off to town to get the ingredients.
Mom was kind enuff to help me buy the crabs, coz I realy don't have time to buy them, really busy with work in the office, as u can read at the previous post.


The crabs were FRESH, a must for a great dish. I have experience in killing, opening, and cleaning the crabs. Reminded me of the old days, when I was really young, parents taught me how to clean them, and I dunno why I was eager to do them. Well, it was really useful, as now I can do the cleaning without much trouble/difficulties. Look as the size of its claw!! (issit really called claw? I'll check on it later)


After cleaning them. Was using a brush, really dirty. You should know where those really came from, hehehehe. (don't spoil my appetite ah)


Ok, over them in cornflour, and then deep fry for few minutes, until CNY red, hehehe. I really din get to take all the pictures on the cooking process, too focused on cooking the sauce especially, really want the dish to turn out AWESOME! After deep-frying them, I prepared the sauce. the sauce was the difficult part, have to be quite accurate to get the desired outcome. You want the recipe? Sure, you can let me know and i'll get it for u.


PHEW!! Done! Looks nice isn't it? I've used up 8 salted egg yolks for this 2kg crab dish. Only used up the yolks. It turns out very nice! Really exceeded my expectation. It's not as salty as it sound, coz the yolks have this distinct smell and flavour, but not really salty. My family really enjoyed this dish, I tell u,...hahahaha.



The food prepared for the CNY eve dinner, it was good, enjoyable, and FULL!! (buuuuuuurrrpp!!)

No comments: